Friday, May 14, 2010

Check-up Time

This past Tuesday I took both girls for their check-ups: Hannah had her 3 year check and Gracie had her 2 month check...overall we had a good visit!!

Hannah, with a little coaxing, finally got on the scale to see how much she weighed (last time I took her she hit the nurse that was trying to weigh her)...27 pounds.  She is also 37 inches tall.  The doctor informed me that she is still pretty petite, and will probably be the point guard on the basketball team since she is on the smaller side (I'm ok with that)!! Tony and I aren't very big people, so I didn't imagine our children being any bigger! Developmentally everything seems to be on track with her.  There was mention of a possibility of speech therapy because she has some pronunciation problems, but after talking to the speech-language pathologist at the school where I teach, she said that Hannah is still pretty young and her speech will most likely correct itself...
Hannah brought her doctors kit along to the check-up, but purposefully left the shot at home!! HAHA! Luckily she didn't have to get any shots, but they informed me she will got 4 shots when she is 4...
I was more worried about taking Hannah to the doctor because she is terrified of them: I think because when she was little she went ALL the time for her ear infections. But this time she was awesome!!

Gracie's 2 month check-up went well.  She is now 9 lbs, 4 ounces (up 1.2 lbs from last month) and is now 22.5 inches tall (grew another inch).  Everything developmentally seems to be going well with her as well!! She has rolled over several times (not consistently yet), she smiles, coos and tracks well! Now we just need to try to get her big sister from smothering her all the time!!

 For those of you who don't know, we've been having a hard time with Gracie's digestive system.  At about 3 weeks old she started crying ALL day long.  We figured it was really bad colic, and just dealt with it.  Several weeks later at 6 weeks old she was crying all the time still AND became extremely gassy, spitting up and wouldn't poop without assistance (suppository, kayro syrup, anal stimulation).  After talking to the doctor she suggested I change my diet and not eat any gassy foods or dairy since I was breastfeeding.  I did that and there was still no change.  Then she suggested I try a lactose-free formula.  I was very leary about doing this because I REALLY wanted to continue breastfeeding, but then again, I also wanted my baby to not be miserable all day long.  I tried the formula and within 24 hours her gas was gone.  Needless to say, my breastmilk was hurting her digestive system :(  So I started weaning  myself...and Gracie became a formula baby (at least I had 6 solid weeks of breastfeeding...hopefully she got the benefits from it).  She was on soy formula for about 4 days and then the gas crept back up and the spitting up was bad.  Next we tried Similac Sensitive R.S..  Once again for the first couple of days, it seemed to do the trick, but once again she started spitting up and being gassy and not pooping, are you seeing a trend here?  At this past weeks appointment they gave Gracie a prescription for Zantac, which will hopefully help with her spitting up/reflux (so far I have NOT noticed  a difference).  Starting today we are trying Similac Alimentum, a hypoallergenic formula for sensitive babies that have reactions to everything else...she's only had 1 bottle of it so far so I haven't noticed a difference yet....all I know is that it smells really bad!!
Keep your fingers crossed that this will do the trick for a happier baby (and mommy)!!

On another note, Gracie has slept 8 hours through the night twice this week!! Let's hope this trend continues!

Happy 3rd Birthday to my beautiful Hannah Marie!! I can't believe she is 3 already...where does the time go?! Will post more after this weekend to share her birthday with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment